Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Second 'Live' Tutoring

I had my second 'Live' tutoring session which had me go in with a bit more confidence. Unlike the first session, I was able to tutor two students. The first student's blog had the proper structure of what is required from the assignment such as the main point. a reflection and evidence to support their opinion, but needed a brief summary. She did not explain what the article was about nor did she write the title. She provided me with paper and asked if we can take notes because she felt like there was going to be many mistakes once I mention "grammar". What made it difficult for me to read her paper was her grammar. There was a language barrier with her paper but she was able to explain what she meant as I asked her to read the sentence(s) that I did not understand. I was able to get some understanding but asked her to reread the entire paper for grammar and fragments while I assist the other student. The second student I tutored had two papers for me to review but I explained that I only had time for one. She started with the paper that needed more improvements. She explained that both papers have been reviewed but she wants to work on a final draft. The paper was well written and did not need too many corrections. She had problems with run-on sentences, she had too many commas. She had strong evidence which helped wrapped up her conclusion. I asked her to reread her paper to correct her run-on and make sure she wrote what she expected to say. Meanwhile, I checked with the other student and she decided to work on another paper since she was behind. I asked for her assurance and advised her to ask me if she had any questions. I went back to the other student and had an opportunity to read her second paper in which she explained that she worked the hardest on. After reading the paper, I was able to see the difference in her writing and the effort put. It was a good paper but she still had a few run-on sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment