Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Third 'Live' Tutoring

My third session of tutoring was a bit challenging compared to the first two. The students were working on a CATW example. This prompt was about junk food and advertising. I started off by asking a student if he needed help even though he already had a tutor. He agreed for me to help. I guess he wanted a second opinion on feedback. I reviewed his paper and commented on his good supporting details and summary.  Implied that he needed a conclusion because he did not have one and he replied that the last tutor gave him the same information I provided him with. Then I reviewed an absent students' paper and wrote comments on the low order concerns. Since the student was not present, I couldn't asses the higher order concerns as much because I couldn't understand the students' writing. My comments were short such as compliment ting on the good ideas provided and  fragments and run-on sentences are recurring. The challenging part was when a student that I tutored before showed up. He came prepared this time and asked if I wanted to see the assignment sheet before I can say anything. He handed me his paper, and before i read it, he explained why the structure was so disorganized. I was surprised to see his paper and had to ask what happen. He admit to coming late and falling asleep while writing. I informed him that I will see if I can work through it despite the major errors. There was about six paragraph and each consisted of one run-on sentence. Some details were relevant, but many clearly showed that he was 'babbling'. I tried to see if he can connect all the paragraphs and came up with a concept. I created an outline. I asked him to tell me what he would write in his introduction and took notes and the main topic he stated. I took notes on everything he was saying and created the structure of his paper. He comes up with better ideas when he talks about it aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment