Friday, May 25, 2012

Tutor vs. Tutor Script


Tutor vs. Tutor
English 99 student, Mary Jane walks timidly into the writing center. She signs in and is assigned to Dr. Jekyll. Dr. Jekyll walks past Mary Jane quickly and directs her to follow her.

Dr. Jekyll: Where’s the paper? I only have 30 minutes to review it before my meeting!
Mary Jane looks for her paper frantically and finally locates it in her disheveled bag

Dr. Jekyll: Could you hurry up I don’t have all day. Time’s a ticking as she points to her watch.
Mary Jane: timidly Here is my paper. I don’t know if I am doing the assignment properly
Dr. Jekyll: Are you are college student? The Writing Center does not write papers for students.
Mary Jane: timidly Yes, I am practicing for my CATW examination. This is a practice test.
Mary Jane hands the paper to Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll: I can already see there are several errors. I see comma splices, run- on sentences, fragments. This needs a lot of work!
Takes out red pen and begins marking Mary Jane’s paper.

Mary Jane: Um. Can you use a different color?
Dr. Jekyll: Red is my color.
Continues marking up the paper

Mary Jane: I thought you would help me. What am I doing wrong?
Dr. Jekyll: Everything is wrong. Your ideas make no sense, your topic sentence sucks. This conclusion is trash and that is where this paper belongs! Gets up and throws it in the garbage. I need some coffee.
Dr. Jekyll takes a sip of her coffee and suddenly becomes Ms. Hyde.


Ms. Hyde: When did you get here? How may I be of assistance?
Mary Jane looks confused

Mary Jane: Um, I um gave you my paper and you said it was all wrong. Then you threw it in the trash.
Ms. Hyde: Sometimes I get a little dramatic when I haven’t had my coffee. Let’s get that paper and see what we can do.
Mary Jane goes and retrieves the paper from the trash can.

Mary Jane: Here it is.
Ms. Hyde: Can I see the prompt from the practice examination?
Mary Jane goes into her folder and retrieves the prompt.

Ms. Hyde: I am going to take a few minutes to read over the prompt. Take this time to re-read your essay and see if there are any areas you can correct on your own.
Mary Jane reads over her work as Ms. Hyde reads the prompt.

Mary Jane: I think I need help structuring my ideas. It seems like they are all over the place.
Ms. Hyde: That’s a good observation; let me take a look at your work so that I may assist you.
Mary Jane: Ok. Thank you
Ms. Hyde looks over the work and sees that Mary Jane does have structuring issues.

Ms. Hyde: I see that you were correct in your assessment of your work. I can help you. Have you ever used an outline?
Mary Jane: Not really. I don’t know how to create one. I normally just wing it.
Ms. Hyde: Well, ask yourself what is the significant idea of the prompt. Then choose three main ideas from the prompt to support your ideas. Take out a sheet of paper.
Mary Jane takes out a sheet of paper and a pen.

Ms. Hyde: In com



No comments:

Post a Comment